Close

Responsive Design Is The Future Of Mobile Web

Responsive Design Is The Future Of Mobile Web

Responsive Design Is The Future Of Mobile Web

The rising preference for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets in recent years has made web designers and developers come up with something which would provide an optimal Internet browsing endeavor. The solution they come up with is responsive web design. So, what is responsive web design after all? It is a technique which focuses on arranging easy navigation and reading experience to a user visiting a webpage through a mobile device. A webpage designed with responsive technique will require less amount of scrolling or resizing. The layout of the webpage becomes flexible and fits the screen of a 5-inch smartphone with the equal amount of ease as it fits a 25-inch computer monitor screen.
Three web design concepts determine the functionality of responsive web design – Fluid Grids, Media Queries, and Flexible Images. These three concepts decide how well the interface design will fit and align with the screen of a viewer's device.

Fluid Grids

Fluid grids help in displaying the primary elements of a webpage. Later on, elements of secondary importance like the content of the webpage get loaded. Fluid grids ensure that there is proper use of space.

Media Queries

Media queries verify the type of device which is being used to view a webpage. After the device has been detected, media queries reshapes the layout, spacing and other related elements to suit the screen of the device.

Flexible Images

Images also need to fit different screen sizes. In order to avoid images from getting broken due to unadjustable length and width ratio, different units like "em" or "%" are used to make the images flexible.

Why is responsive web design being considered the future of mobile web?

# 1. Improved Browsing Experience

As it has been stated earlier, implementation of the responsive technique on designing a webpage makes it fit any screen size. This means that a user, habituated with surfing the Web on a computer, can view a webpage with equal amount of easiness on a mobile device. And if the mobile visitors are satisfied, there will also be a lower bounce rate.

# 2. Less Use of Gestures

Visitors can get access to an entire webpage with vertical scrolling. As a responsive webpage can fit any screen snugly, designers and developers are spared from using too many gestures to direct a visitor to important sections of the website.

# 3. Share Similar URLs

The URL of a webpage designed to fit a computer monitor remains the same when the webpage is made responsive to fit smaller screen sizes. As the URL stays intact, visitors are spared from the trouble of remembering multiple website addresses.

# 4. High Revenue Generation

The growth in use of mobile devices to surf the Web has given rise to websites designed with the responsive technique. According to a recent report from Google, the year 2012 had seen 79% of all searches are made from computer monitors while the rest 21% are from mobile devices. As the use of mobile devices are slated to rise even more, companies resorting to the responsive technique will have a better chance at reaching their target audience.

Conclusion

Forecasts have revealed that mobile web browsing will be overtaking the use of Internet through computers by the end of 2015. Even if it is not 2015, there is no doubt that the mobile web browsing movement is not far away. In such a case, responsive web design is the best solution companies can rely on in order to maintain their hold on their customers.

Related Posts