But in the core of it all is design, user experience and layout. So knowing that everyone is different, and that users access the web in different ways we need to ensure that we can offer the best web experience to as many of these users as possible.
One of the main things to consider when developing is:
How do users access a website?
A careful developed site – it sure looks good on a desktop … But what about iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry? …
How is the site going to work on mobile devices?
Thinking about presentation for each device does no longer work, and for a long time designers did not have a choice. But with the advance of mobile technology the developing / design community has found a better, more affordable and faster way.
Responsive Web Design
So here is the Wikipedia definition:
Responsive Web Design is an approach to web design in which a site is crafted to provide an optimal viewing experience —- easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning and scrolling — across a wide range of devices (from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones).
So, this design allows designers to create fluid websites with flexible content that automatically adapts to the size and orientation of the users' browser to deliver the optimal layout. This means a site can look great on any device, no longer only on desktop. It also allows for the website to be consistent and more importantly usable regardless of how people are accessing it. So, with a responsive design, we can be confident that the website will deliver a fantastic user experience on any device.
- Better SEO – Only one URL structure to maintain
- No Pinching and Zooming – While optimized websites will still offer this disadvantage.
- Content Management – Rather than multiple content versions for different devices, now we manage only one set.
- Time and Money Savings – No longer a business that needs a web presence is tied by budgeting and the need to allocate large amount of funds to web development and its multiple phases.
- Site Updates – Content updates can be done once and sometimes design changes too.
Responsive Web Design is a very powerful strategy in most situations. However, there is still tons to be said about True Mobile websites, and their undivided utilization for mobile devices. For a small business owner, budgeting for two different designs and projects can be a bottom line drainer. With Responsive Web Design you can achieve maximum ROI on your website design cost. Want to learn more? Check our site