The world of web designing is huge and complex. Moreover, with new innovations made daily, it has become all the more complex. Every day new and new technologies are coming and making development fast and easy for the end user. However, there are basic rules that stand tall for all times and changes.
1) Content: The most important thing to remember about popular web sites is that they are always rich in content. When someone visits your site, they are always looking for something in your website. If your content is not well enough to explain the goal of the site then visitor will no longer stay on your site.
2) Graphics: Limit the size of each image to about 10-12 KB. Although the number of broadband users is increasing, tolerance of slow loading pages is still not nil. Huge images cause web pages to load very slowly and so, they should be optimized appropriately. Now days, all major search engine also considering the loading time of the website while ranking them, so use of graphics needs more attention.
The images that you put on your website should be in sync with the content there. Graphics creates the first impression of the website. So it should be very neat and clear and easy to convey your message.
3) Web page design and looks: Always prefer standard layout style for your page. Visitor of the site surf many website and he has learned and observed some basic method of surfing. So, if you try to give them some new way of navigation or present your content differently then there are many chances that people accept your new looks or not. Try to provide easy navigation of the website and present content in less number of clicks.
Another important element is the Whitespace. It decides how present the content of the page looks. However excessive or even restrained use of the Whitespace can have contrasting effects.
Graphics can be used as design elements of the website page. For instance, you can wrap text around an image and load in to the web page.
4) Fonts: Always use Serif font for the headlines and Sans-Serif for the textual matter of the website. Because of low screen resolutions of computer monitors, the Sans serif fonts make the text easily readable. But if Serif fonts for the text content of the website, it can have a blurred effect and will not be readable.
Make use of standard font families. Stick to fonts like Verdana, Geneva, Arial, and Helvetica. They would make the content look better.
5) Advertisement: Visitors to your website do not come to see the advertisements, but to look for information that they need. No visitor would stay if the ads on the website overwhelm the content on it. Advertisements are necessary to earn revenue but scaring off visitors would defeat the very purpose of the website.