Top 10 Web Design Trends This Year
If you are looking at updating your website, creating new content, launching a blog or even going through a complete web re-launch, you should be aware of this year's top 10 trends which are taking the web design industry by storm to stay ahead of the competition.
- Trend # 1: Responsive web design. The concept is to think about websites as adaptable to any device so that they become dynamic and fluid by nature. This is now possible thanks to CSS3 media queries which allow us to customize layouts based on limited or expanded screen sizes. This is a major trend to take into account if you consider that, on average, mobiles account for 31% of site traffic in the UK, according to Mobify. This compares to 47% in Australia, 40% in Brazil, 34% in South Korea, 31% in the US, and just 8% in France. Also, according to IMRG mobile commerce grew by 254% between 2010 and 2011, and by a further 300% between 2011 and 2012. Not bad for the smallest of devices!
- Trend # 2: fixed header bar. This is an interesting feature to consider as it does provide a great user experience in the form of effortless navigation.
- Trend # 3: large photo background. This is a good way to capture your visitors' attention as well as provide instant custom branding. It is worth asking your web design company to show you examples to see if it is something you'd like to try.
- Trend # 4: Minimalist landing pages. No clutter or graphics excesses – very impactful in today's information overload world …
- Trend # 5: Digital QR codes. Not the nicest looking things, but great for interaction and engagement.
- Trend # 6: Social media badges. They come in all shapes, sizes and color and any social media or community platform will happily share them with you. They can be pinned automatically anywhere in your layout, from blogs to websites without forgetting apps, presentations and articles. But most importantly, people actively use them to share content quickly on their favorite hub (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn …).
- Trend # 7: CSS transparency. This can look very sleek and trendy. Again, it is a good idea to check out some examples with your web design company or on the web.
- Trend # 8: Digital illustrations. These are detailed artistic works which can set the mood on your digital platform but also enhance branding. Many on-line galleries showcase some of the best examples so do not miss out on this creative trend.
- Trend # 9: Infinite scrolling. The best example for this is probably Pinterest which allows user to scroll indefinitely without interruption or having to click to go to the next page. This loading technique is worth considering for a website with a lot of visual content.
- Trend # 10: Retina Support. Twice as dense as any average LCD. However, only high-end devices use this at present. Any web design agency will be able to explain how this may impact your future digital properties.